LATE SHRI NRIPENDRANATH BHATTACHARYYA
(January 1988 - May 1998)
Shri Nripendranath Bhattacharyya, an eminent scholar of Bengali Literature joined as the first principal of our College on 20th January, 1988. The institution received a new impetus under his guidance and action.
- Fund raising programmes through state govt. permitted lottery and charity show by Mamata Shankar Ballet Troupe for setting up of New College building and extension of the old one.
- New land acquisition for the construction of the Science Block.
- Enlisting the College as ’Govt-aided College’ under(Sec) 2(f) and 12(b) of UGC vide order no.8-48/87 dated 22nd October,1994.
- Commencement of the Commerce Department from the academic session 1995-96.
- Instrumental in introducing Honours courses in Bengali, Education, History and Political Science.
- Extension of the Main Building to the second floor from the grant of Rs 3.17 lakhs under MPLAD and a further donation of 17000 from HOWRAH MUNICIPAL CORPORATION.
DR.DILIP KUMAR SAHOO
(December 1999 - July 2016)
Dr.Dilip Kumar Sahoo joined College on 1st December, 1999. Much of the developmental work was initiated and completed during his tenure.
- Construction of the ground floor of the science block began in the year 2000 with the MPLAD grant of 10 lakhs and the 1st floor in 2003. Later on the 2nd and the 3rd floor was completed under various Grants of Govt. of West Bengal and MPLAD schemes.
- The vision of constructing Womens Hostel was realised with the UGC grant of 30 lakhs in the first phase in 2001 and later 72 lakhs in the second phase in the year 2007.
- From a small single room library, he constructed a spacious library for students with internet facility in 2001.
- He started the UGC approved 'Remedial Coaching' for slow learners and backward categories from 2001 and Short-Term Vocational Training in Interior Decoration and Automobile Engineering under West Bengal State Council to equip the students with professional training. It is still fully operative and large number of students have benefited from the scheme.
- He introduced self –funded general course in Geography which later was approved by Dept of Higher Education in 2003. Honours course was introduced from 2006.
- In 2004, the college participated in the NAAC assessment (National Accreditation Assessment Council) and became the first College in Howrah to achieve the laurel by securing C++. The College later on participated in two more cycles of NAAC successfully in the year 2009 securing GRADE C and 2014 securing GRADE B.
- He introduced ‘Career Oriented Vocational Scheme’ under UGC from 2004 with the grant of 10 lakhs. Not only this, he was instrumental in introducing UGC approved ‘Entry into Service Scheme’ and ‘Equal Opportunity Centre’ from 2009.
- Under the 10th plan of UGC grant of 7 lakhs New Building and Boys’ common room was constructed in place of the old store room in the main campus.
- He always encouraged research activities among faculties and students. During his tenure 11 UGC sponsored seminars both at the State, National and International level was organised and seven Minor Research Projects funded by UGC also completed.
- He introduced subjects of Botany, Physiology and Zoology first as general course in 2008 and later Honours course was also introduced in the year 2012.
- Under the 11th plan with the UGC grant of Rs 43,07,101, the college laboratory was enriched with modern equipment.
- He introduced distance learning under NSOU (Netaji Subhas Open University) in 2003 and Vidyasagar University in 2009.
- He set up NRC (Network Resource Centre) from UGC grant in 2012-13 in the Science Building to facilitate information technology to students and staff.
- Under MPLAD Scheme( Hon’ble Shri Debabrata Biswas and Hon’ble Shri Sitaram Yechury) in 2012-13. new office, staff room and several other class rooms were constructed in the main campus.
- As a result of the successful completion of 3 cycles of NAAC Re- Accreditation, the College received the RUSA grant of 2 Crore rupees for infrastructural and academic development. Under this grant he undertook the following work:
a) Fully equipped AC auditorium.
b) Beautification of the College.
c) New Canteen for students and faculties.
d) Computers for all Departments.
e) Procurement of books and journals.
DR. KAUSTUBH LAHIRI
(December, 2016 - till date)
Dr. Kaustubh Lahiri joined College from 10th December, 2016 and has carried forward the developmental work.
- Utilized the 2nd and 3rd installment of the RUSA fund. Under the 2nd installment completion of up-gradation of College premises and New Building was completed. Under the 3rd installment of Rs.10 lakhs procurement of books, equipment for laboratories was done.
- Constructed Virtual classroom with ICT facilities under the financial assistance of West Bengal government.
- 4 smart class rooms have also been constructed under the financial assistance of West Bengal government to cater to students need.
- He has been instrumental in setting up of fully equipped GIS enabled Geography Laboratory.
- Introduced general course in two new subjects namely Journalism and Mass Communication and Food and Nutrition from 2019-20 academic session.
- UGC approved B.Voc (3 years Degree Programme) in Beauty Therapy and Aesthetics have been introduced to adapt students for professional training and placement.
- Under his effective guidance the library is now on a digital platform with cloud based KOHA software facilities to facilitate faculties and students to access the library from any place.
- He revived the Career Counselling and Placement Cell which has been instrumental in creating job opportunities to students after completion of their studies. Under his effective guidance following initiatives have been undertaken namely:
Introduced the ICC (Internal Complaints Committee) as per VISHAKHA GUIDELINES against sexual harassment of women and RTI Committee to empower all and promote transparency and accountability in every aspect of the College.
He has encouraged ‘Students and Faculty Exchange Programmes’ with our neighbouring Colleges namely Bijoy Krishna Girls’ College, Howrah and Prabhu Jagatbandhu College, Andul, Howrah in subjects like Political Science, Education, Philosophy and Geography.
The College has also applied for the introduction of M.A in Geography and Bengali affiliated to University Of Calcutta.
- Industry visit for students, setting up of modern laboratory equipment in collaboration with TCG Life Sciences, Salt Lake, Kolkata.
- Diploma in Computer Application for students at minimal cost in association with WEBEL TECHNOLOGY LTD, Govt. of West-Bengal Undertaking.
- TALLY and GST courses in association with TALLY INSTITUTE OF LEARNING..
- Introduced Self- Defense classes for female students.
At present the College is preparing for the impending 4th
cycle of NAAC Re-Accreditation under his effective guidance and leadership.